Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Bachelor of Science in Electrical & Computer Engineering, University of Colorado at Boulder (CU), 2017
I’m interested in devising novel methods and materials for studying the micro and nano scale interface between solid-state electronic/photonic system and biological system. My current research focuses on Photonic Crystal-Enhanced Quantum Dot Emission and its application of sensing cancer-associated exosomal miRNA.
Frank Barnes’ Research Group, Bioelectromagnetics Lab at CU, Boulder, CO
Visiting Scholar, Jan 2018- July 2018; Research Assistant, May 2015-July 2017
- “Integrated Microfluidic System with Gradiometer Pick-up Coil for Precisely Sensing Possible Magnetic Fields Generated by Cell Communications”.
- “Effects of Weak Magnetic Fields on Cancer Cells Characteristic”.
- “EMF Enhanced Magnetic Isotope Effect in ATP Synthesis”.
- “Non-invasive Acoustic Heart Monitoring Software for Congestive Heart Failure Patients”.
IMRA America, Inc. Boulder Research Lab, Longmont, CO
Software Engineer Intern, July 2017- Dec 2017
- “Software Design for PID control Lockbox of Femtosecond Laser Frequency Comb for Quantum Optics Experiments”
Jeong Research Group, Laboratory of Innovation Biomedical Devices at CU, Boulder, CO
Research assistant, Aug 2015- Dec 2016
- “Stretchable Functional Textile-like Coaxial Wire for Wearable biosensors and health monitoring”.
- “Smartphone Wireless Control Optofluidic Systems for Programmable In Vivo Pharmacology and Optogenetics”.
- “Chronic, Smartphone-enabled Wireless Neuropharmacology with Neural Circuit Control”, R. Qazi, A. Gomez, Z. Zou, J. Y. Sim, Y. Xiong, J. Abdo, C. Y. Kim, A. Anderson, F. Lohner, B. C. Lee, K. Jang, J. Xiao, M. Bruchas & J. Jeong, submitted and under review for Nature Biomedical Engineering, July. 2018
- “Weak Static Magnetic Fields Induce Changes in Fibrosarcoma Cell Growth, Hydrogen Peroxide, Membrane Potential and Mitochondrial Calcium”, Gurhan, R. Bruzon, S. Kandala, Y. Xiong & F. Barnes, BioEM 2018 Annual Conference held by Bioelectromagnetics Society (BEMS), June. 2018, Portoroz, Slovenia
- “Effect of a Low Intensity Static Magnetic Field on Different Biological Parameters that Characterize the Cellular Stress”, Gurhan, R. Bruzon, Y. Xiong & F. Barnes, 2018 URSI National Radio Science Conference, Jan. 2018, Boulder, CO
- “Force Sensing Prosthetic Finger Tip using Elastomer-Embedded Commodity Infrared Proximity Sensor”, Segil, R. Patel, Y. Xiong, R. Weir & N. Correll, Myoelectric Control Symposium Conference held by The Institute of Biomedical Engineering (IBME), Feb. 2017
- “Oxidative Stress as an Initial Step in the Biological Effects Induced by Magnetic Fields”, Bruzon, H. Gurhan, Y. Xiong & F. Barnes, BioEM 2017 Annual Conference held by BEMS, April. 2017
- “Alternative Explanation of the Irreproducible Experiments Results among the In-vitro Sudies of EMF Enhanced Magnetic Isotope Effect and Radical Pair Mechanism in Magnesium-dependent Enzymes Catalytic ATP Synthesis”, Y. Xiong, BioEM 2017 Annual Conference held by BEMS, April. 2017
- “New Insight into Electromagnetic Field Enhanced Magnetic Isotope and Nuclear Spin Effects on Biological Systems”, Y. Xiong, URSI National Radio Science Conference, Jan. 2017, Boulder, CO
Honors and Awards
- Member of the Bioelectromagnetics Society (BEMS); Feb. 2017 – Present
- Member of IEEE-Eta Kappa Nu (HKN), Boulder, CO; Spring 2016 – Present
- Coordinator and Vice President at IEEE Macau Section Student Branch, Macau; Sep. 2012 – 2014
- Active Learning Award, Graduate with honors from College of Engineering and Applied Science, CU Boulder; April 2017
- 2nd Place in NASA space robotics competition, NASA Kennedy Space Center, Florida; May 2017
- Clarence LaGuardia Foundation Scholarship Fund, Boulder, CO; Jan. 2017
- Dean’s List, outstanding academic performance, College of Engineering and Applied Science, CU Boulder, CO; Aug. 2016
- UROP Grant Award, CU Boulder, CO; Dec. 2015
- Best of Section Awards on ITLL Project Design Expo, CU Boulder, CO; Nov. 2014
- Dean Scholarship Owner in MUST, Honor Student, Top one in IT department, Macau; 2012, 2013, 2014